What is a Palliative Pain and Symptom Management Consultant (PPSMC)?
Since 1992, the Palliative Pain and Symptom Management Consultant (PPSMC) role has been a Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC)-mandated nursing position, throughout Ontario.
The PPSMC mandate is to:
- assist service providers in the application of assessment tools and best practice tools and guidelines outline in the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association’s (CHPCA) Model to Guide Hospice Palliative Care
- offer consultation to service providers in-person, by telephone, by video conference or through email regarding care i.e. assessment and management of pain and other symptoms
- provide case-based education and mentoring for service providers
- help build capacity among front-line service providers in the delivery of palliative care
- link service providers with specialized hospice and palliative care resources
All ministry-mandated PPSMCs fall under the services of MOHLTC Functional Centre 725 50 9491.
How do PPSMCs accomplish this mandate?